Web Development FAQ's
A number of general questions often arise about the web design & development process for my client's web projects. The questions answered below may be of help.
I will be happy to answer any specific questions that you may have about my web design services, SEO services, the website design process, or any other questions that you may have about getting your business website online and producing results.
Feel free to give me a call with any questions you may have.
Call me today for a free consultation about your website, or SEO project. 425-802-4019
Northwest Web Designs | Frequently Asked Questions
- How important is a website to my business success? (i.e. ROI)
- Consider this. Over 80% of all sales start with an internet search. In 2011, web sales grew faster than total sales for Ralph Lauren's (Online sales grew 23%).
If you want to increase your sales, and your business to grow, a website is no longer optional, it is an essential sales, marketing and customer relations tool.
Whether you are trying to reach a regional demographic, or a global market, your website is one of your business' most valuable assets.
In terms of business exposure and marketing, an effective web presence is the most cost effective method for growing your company's business.
- What steps do I need to take to get my website started?
- There are essentially 4 steps to get you website business started.
1) Domain Name Registration
2) Design of the Web Site
3) Hosting Your Web Site on a Web Server
4) Marketing Your Web Site
- What is a Domain Name & how much does it cost?
- A Domain Name identifies your business, E.G. XYZ.com. This name, combined with a unique address called a URL, provide a specific location on the web for people to find your business. When someone types in your domain name into their browser, or search engine, the servers deliver your website address.
This is similar to having mail delivered in your name to your home address via the post office. The "post offices" in this case are internet servers that send, or route, a web browser to your own unique website address using your domain name.
Domain names are often included, at least initially, with a hosting service. If not, registering your domain name only runs about $35.00 anually.
- What is Web Hosting?
- A Web Host is the place where your website files are physically stored, so that people can access it from anywhere in the world. Hosting companies have servers (computers) that hold all your files and also provide the unique address (URL) for your website.
Essentially this is where you rent space on a computer that is always connected to the Internet. You lease that space, similar to leasing a physical office space, and they provide a place to conduct business, in this case, on the internet.
- What is the monthly cost for the hosting service?
- If you can afford a movie and a bag of popcorn once a month, you should have no problem affording your website hosting costs!
Depending on the type of business you have, and your particular website requirements, most small businesses can be hosted for under $20.00 a month, and can be found for as little as $5.00 a month. Obviously the more you pay, the more features/optionsyou will enjoy through your hosting service. I can offer you more detailed advice once I know what the specific requirements are for your website design project.
- I already have a website and I need it updated, can you help me?
- Yes! I can add content for you, offer Search engine optimization, or completely redesign your website to give it an updated, fresh look. Whatever your website requirements are, large or small, I can help provide solutions.
- How much will it cost for a website?
- Aside from the design costs, which are dependant on your individual project requirements, you will have the cost of a domain name, and a monthly fee for a hosting service to host your website on the web.
- What do you charge for a website design?
- This is dependant on the individual requirements for your website, and/or any web services and features required. Will your website have five pages, or five hundred? Do you have your content and graphics ready, or will I be needed to edit the graphics? Will you want me to do all, or part of the copywriting and content preparation?
Once I know what your specific requirements are for your project, I can offer you a quote, whether that need is one page added to your website, hours of extensive graphics editing, a couple of pages of copywriting, a complete overhaul of your current website, or a brand new website.
That said, my average total cost billed to clients for a new small to medium sized website varies from $350.00 to $2,000. This cost also includes search engine optimization for your website.
Once I know the scope of you web design project I can give you a more accurate quote. When the project is clearly defined, I charge by the project. When there is an unclear or uncertain scope to the project, I charge by the hour. Hourly rate is billed at $55.00 an hour.
- Will my website show up on Google?
- Yes! With Google accounting for around 70% of all search queries, it is imperative to show up in their search results in order to achieve success for your company's website business. I design every small business website with search engines in mind, and your company website will be designed and be compliant with search engine guidelines.
- My website doesn't show up on Google, can you improve my ranking?
- Yes! If you are not showing up on Google, or have a very poor page rank, I can guarantee I will improve your page rank.
Once I look at your website and determine what the problem is, I will be able to correct it & improve your page rank. Can I guarantee first place on the first page of the search rankings, no, and be wary of anyone who claims they can.
However, I will guarantee you that you will see a vast improvement, and my goal is to have your website positioned in the top results within a month.
You can check out the proven track record of what I have achieved for my clients here!
- How long will it take for my website to show up on Google search results?
- This can vary, but for the company websites that I have designed and optimized it typically takes 2-4 weeks to start to achieve high page ranks.
- Do I need to pay for pay-per-click advertising on Google to show up on their search results?
- No, with one caveat! There can be many factors that could cause your website to have a poor page ranking on Google, everything from a poorly coded/designed site to "black hat" techniques that have got you banned from their search engine. I can look at your website and determine what the problem is, determine how to correct it & then improve your standings.
Any corrections to improve page ranking is not always immediate, and can take time to improve. During this period, until organic results are achieved, it may be beneficial to create a small budget and use this service temporarily, but you should never have to do this long term, if the web pages are designed correctly.
- How long will it take for my website to be designed?
- This depends on the scope of the project. Often the timeframe for a website design project is dictated by the client. The most common delays in the creation and completion of a new website is waiting for content (text/images) to be sent by the client. If you have a deadline in mind I will discuss that with you and endeavour to meet it.
- Can you able to help me get the website hosting information I need, or help me set it up?
- Yes! I can not only offer you advice & recommendations for hosting services, but I also get everything set up for you if you prefer.
- There is a website I like, can you make mine like that?
- Probably! But, do you really want an exact duplicate of what someone else has? The first thing to determine is what you like about their site. Is it the color scheme, navigation elements, page layout, typography etc. Once that is determined I can create you a custom website design using those same elements that you want included, but will set your small business website uniquely apart from your competition.
- Do I have to use Northwest Web Designs for any future maintainance, or updates?
- No, the website belongs to you - I send you a copy of the completed website on cd. This copy is for your retention, and should you wish to use another web design company - you are completely at liberty to take this copy to them for them to use. However, my hope is that after working with me you will want to continue to use my web design and SEO services. My goal is to build a strong relationship with you in helping you achieve success for your business, and to meet any future needs that you may have!